World Learning’s Democracy Fellows Program assists the advancement of democratic practices in emerging and transitional democracies by placing field-experienced democracy and governance professionals at USAID Missions and Bureaus.
The program supports up to 15 Democracy Fellowships annually, generally awarding six new fellowships each year. Fellows participate in assignments at USAID?s field missions abroad or in Washington, D.C. to gain practical skills.
Fellows hone their skills through substantive activities including the development of democracy strategies, as well as evaluation methodologies and indicators. They provide policy analysis, expert advice and technical comment on USAID plans or activities on topics ranging from rule of law and human rights to food security and electoral planning.
In contributing to democracy programs in developing countries, World Learning Democracy Fellows ultimately strive to improve local capacities and promote the rule of law.Applications are accepted on a continuing basis.
Criteria for acceptance include:
* U.S. citizenship for fellowships requiring a national security clearance.
* Ability to receive a U.S. national security clearance if required.
* Ph.D., J.D. or Master’s degree. (An undergraduate degree plus significant related democracy and governance experience may be considered on an exceptional basis when requested by USAID or the sponsoring organizations.)
* Previous professional democracy and governance experience. While most new fellowships will be at mid-level (5-10 years directly related experience) or senior-level (10+ years), the DFP may offer some junior-level fellowships (0-5 years).
* Academic background or practical expertise in democracy programs, elections, government, law, international relations, political science, or other fields relevant to democracy and governance projects.
* Prior overseas experience and/or residence, as determined for each fellowship.
* Professional foreign language capabilities, as determined for each fellowship.
Amount: Check funder
Deadline: Check deadline
Funder: World Learning
Stage of Study:
Citizenship: U.S. Citizen